Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Nothing Gets Past Our Eyes Part 1

One day, around 9 pm, I was taking the train home. I had my earphones in, listening to my music. Suddenly, somebody screams. I jump in fright. My heart was beating. My lungs gasping for air. I took my earphones out and looked around. The screaming was from a woman. She was screaming because she was happy to see someone who she hadn't saw for while. From that day on, I never put on my earphones while waiting for the train. Even if it was in the morning.

I believe the most important thing in both self-defence and sparring is to open our eyes. Scan the area. On the streets, scan the view in front of you. Is there someone looking at you suspiciously? Are there teenagers running at each other? How about behind you? This is no different than training at a gym. Observe your opponent. Are they going to punch me? Are they leaving areas exposed for attack?

Basically, my point is to look at your surroundings. Identify the dangers. In the next post, we will look at ways to identify threats and quick clues that are useful for high stress situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment